6.21.2007

Readings

I sit on the couch that the apartment complex provides each unit, several patterns superimposed on one-another. With my text in hand, I read beneath the halogen torchière. Sweat pools and runs from my creased elbows. The central cooling never has worked well. The words on the page don't make any sense. I read half the story. What the hell is going on.
"Hey listen to this," I say. I quikly read a few passages.
"I don't like it," my roomate said.
I reach the end of the story with some understanding of what has just transpired. I reread. Ah. he's a drunk and the house is empty. I still don't like it.

"The Swimmer" by John Cheever really soured my mood, and has made my momentum slump for the evening, or maybe it's just late. I like the premise, but the story has fallen flat on its face for me. I pushed through the nexts two stories, such a delight. Well, I'm going to finish my writing at 5 this morning. I hope I'm more coherent when I awake than I seem to be now.

--andersonwj

2 comments:

Wahida said...

5! i thought waking up at 7 was bad
: ) but i agree, the cheever story kinda pissed me off too... i like your dramatization of the event! and i had thought the story was going places. but it left me wanting too much and having nothing to chew on to figure it out with... but i LOVED LOVED "mrs. dutta writes a letter," (it made me cry a little!), and i definitely liked "a serious conversation." so that did kind of make up for it.

Rachel Yoder said...

The Cheever story has always been perplexing to me, too. Maybe we can find something to, if not love, at least learn from today in class.(Spoken like a teacher, I know.)